WWE has announced the first eight matches of their UK Championship Tournament to take place this June.
Seven of the eight matches will occur on the 8th, 9th and 10th June at Download Festival in Derby, where NXT have performed for the last two years.
The final match between Drew Gulak and Jack Gallagher will occur in America, presumably at Full Sail University where NXT is filmed.
The first round matches are as follows:
- Drew Gulak vs. Jack Gallagher – Two full-time members of the 205 Live roster, Drew Gulak is the only participant from outside the United Kingdom to compete in the tournament.
- Ashton Smith vs. Joseph Connors – Joseph Connors is one of this year’s few competitors who was in the inaugural tournament last January. Ashton Smith has been a champion in many British independent promotions, including ICW, GPW and FSW.
- Flash Morgan Webster vs. James Drake – Both men made their WWE debuts this month when 205 Live was broadcast from London. Webster tagged with Mustafa Ali and Cedric Alexander to face Drake, Zack Gibson and Drew Gulak.
- Kenny Williams vs. Dave Mastiff – On paper, this match could be known as ‘The Bollocks’ versus ‘The Bastard’. Williams is former ICW Zero-G Champion and Mastiff has over 10 years experience as a pro wrestler.
- El Ligero vs. Travis Banks – Ligero is a luchador who consistently travels the UK and puts on excellent matches. Banks is the current Progress World Champion and Defiant Internet Champion.
- Zack Gibson vs. Amir Jordan – Liverpool’s Number One faces the most inexperienced wrestlers in the competition. Amir Jordan only began wrestling in 2015.
- Tucker vs. Joe Coffey – Tucker is an Irish born wrestler who was trained by Finn Balor. Coffey was recently spotted at WWE Raw in London and is a former ICW World Champion.
- Jordan Devlin vs. Tyson T-Bone – Devlin is current champion in OTT Wrestling in Ireland and competed in the tournament last year. Tyson T-Bone has had a fruitful 11-year career in Pro Evolution Wrestling and other independents, including ATTACK 24:7 and Target.
Once the first round matches occur, the winners will move onto the Royal Albert Hall where they could win the opportunity to face WWE UK Champion Pete Dunne on June 19th.
June 18th will presumably host the closing rounds of the tournament as well as seeing The Undisputed Era face British Strong Style in a six-man tag match.